Town Centre Rejuvenation
Injecting more life and vibrancy
To start with, we experimented with some temporary “placemaking” initiatives called parklets. These were small seating areas or green spaces alongside a pavement, often in former parking spaces.
These were a great way for us to explore possibilities and what people in our community are keen to see more of. We had some positive feedback from the public and results of our engagement survey will be available shortly.
Spring 2018 – Parklets pop up around the place
Summer 2018/19 – We’ll explore pedestrianisation of parts of Queen Street, in collaboration with business and landowners
Summer 2018/19 – We’ll start scoping possibilities for changing how Park Street is used
The project is spearheaded by an internal project team and a reference group made up of local representatives who speak for different parts of the community.
Your reference group members are:
- Jonathan Hooker: Council (Chair)
- Graham McClymont: Council
- Bex Johnson: Council
- Tirau Te Tau: Ngati Kahungununu ki Wairarapa
- Mike Kawana: Rangitane o Wairarapa
- David Kernohan: Heritage Advisor
- David Hedley: Retail representative
- Sam Ludden: Arts community representative
- Aaron Slight: Community respresentative
- Sandy Ryan: Community representative
- Brad Dobson: Boffa Miskell (Design)
- Marc Bailey: Boffa Miskell (Design)
- Helen Baggaley: Boffa Miskell (Design)
- Andrea Jackson: Council (Senior Leadership)
- Aaron Bacher: Council (Project Manager)
The representatives are there to reflect the views of the community so you can contact them at any time to make yourself heard.